General Camp Info
The Quaker Camp is designed for both the experienced and novice high school rower (ages 13-18) looking to significantly improve their rowing ability. We also have set aside a large number of camper spots for our novice group. Learning the correct fundamentals is imperative in your evolution as a rower. Instruction and coaching will be geared to the experience level and talents of each camper. The camp includes two daily practices on the water as well as active seminars on erg training, race preparation and body circuits. Rowers and coxswains alike are video-taped to review and evaluate their personal form and technique. The staff will also lead discussions on the college admissions process, nutrition, training and life as a student-athlete. Camp is geared toward beginner, intermediate, and advanced rowers and coxswains.
Practice will be run out of Bachelors Boathouse, home of the Drexel Dragon Rowing program. We will also transport our campers to Drexel’s campus in University City to experience life as a student athlete in the indoor training center, the dining hall, and other activities around campus. Our campers will get to experience life as a college student on the Drexel campus and row out of iconic boathouse row in Philadelphia.
- On-the-water training 3-4 hours per day
- Coordinated ergometer technique/training
- Concentrated video analysis of your stroke with a personalized video review coach
- Seminars on nutrition, injury prevention, training to be a competitive athlete, and being recruited by college coaches
- Superior training for Novice athletes providing the technical foundation needed to be competitive in your club/team
- Row and explore boathouses on Historic Boathouse Row!
- Quaker Camp T-shirt and Water Bottle
- Exploring University City Colleges
- Working with top collegiate coaches from Philadelphia and around the country
- Mid-day activities exploring University City & Philadelphia
Day Campers Traveling by Car
Day camper registration for the Quaker Rowing Camp will be held between 8am – 8:45am the Monday of camp week. Registration is held at Bachelors Barge Club, #6 Kelly Drive. Final directions will be sent out in our pre-camp email in early July. All pick up and drop off from Monday – Thursday will be at Bachelor Barge Club, #6 Kelly Drive, (drop off by 8:30am, pick up by 5pm) with the final pickup on Friday at 11am. The best place to park is headed north on Kelly Drive along boathouse row or at the lot at the corner of Sedgley & Kelly Drive. You can then walk to boathouse #6. (Look for directions in our forms section.)
Daily Camp Schedule
MONDAY - THURSDAY
|8 -8:45 am||Campers arrive at Bachelors Barge Boathouse #6 Kelly Drive.|
|9-11:00 am||Morning practice.|
|11:30 am||Lunch on campus at Drexel dining commons|
|12:30-1:30 pm||Group Activity|
|1:30-2:30 pm||Coach Lectures: (including topics on cross training, nutrition, rigging, and college).|
|2:30-4:30 pm||Afternoon practice.|
|5:00 pm||Campers get picked up.|
|8:45am||Campers arrive at Bachelor Barge boathouse.|
|9-10:00am||Final Practice / Racing opportunities|
|10:45am||Final athlete wrap ups / Camp dismissed|
WHAT TO BRING
On the water needs:
- Hat or visor
- Water bottle
- Rowing shorts of your choice or a unisuit. Form fitting clothing is best for novices.
- Light, breathable t-shirts or tank tops. (Enough to wear 2 every day!)
- Running sneakers
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Socks… lots of them!
- Small bag to bring change of clothes to boathouse
Summer Camp Policies
Enrollment is limited to 6 coxswains and 36 rowers per session. Priority is given on a first-come, first-served basis. Camp registration will be secured when payment is received in full. Down payments will be accepted until April 15th. Then payments will be due in full. There will be a short wait-list created in case of cancellations.
All requests for cancellation must be made via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. All monies paid, with exception of a $200 administrative fee, will be refunded provided the notice of cancellation is received one month prior to the start of camp. No refunds will be provided less than one month prior to the start of camp.
*Day camp registration
– 8-8:45am on Monday of camp week @ Drexel Boathouse (Bachelors Barge)
**If you need to reach Mike Lane Director for any reason during camp please call the camp phone (215) 429-6624.